Wednesday, September 20, 2017

In Remembrance

"...And you?  Go about your business without fretting or worrying.  Relax. When it's all over, you will be on your feet to receive your reward."
            This message is to Daniel, an Israeli exile. His people, the Israelites, once the greatest Kingdom power, brought low due to disobedience...now exiles, prisoners, and slaves. 
             Daniel, servant to Kings, wisest counselor, interpreter of visions & dreams, friend & advisor to Kings,
              Survivor of the Lions Den.
              Daniel becomes a dreamer himself.
              But the dream God gives him is a horror. 
                          The horror of things to come.
The visions trouble Daniel so much he becomes ill and cannot even work.
           In our world today there are not just rumors of war and catastrophe - there ARE wars and strife, catastrophes, hurricanes, tornadoes, tsunamis, floods & fires, weapons of mass destruction, diseases, pain, divorce, mental illnesses , cancer, poverty, human trafficking, gun violence, abortion, mass murders, genocide & democide, and the recent reminder of 911.
            We cannot close our eyes to the awareness of the dysfunction and horror that exist and even surround us in this world.  Sometimes I feel overwhelmed and paralyzed, like Daniel, with awareness.
        As I read the book of Daniel these last few days, I have been comforted.  As a prisoner, and while confronted with the vision of THE END, God tells Daniel, tells me, tells us,
                                                                 "Don't be afraid, friend. Peace.                                                                Everything is going to be all right. 
Take courage.
                 Be strong.
                              Go about your business without fretting or worrying. 
Relax.....(what?  Oh.  OK...If YOU say so!)
When it's all over, you will be on your feet to receive your reward."

          The anniversary of 911 slid into a world awash with current disaster awareness and preparation for most of the world.  Hurricanes, floods, forest fires, earthquakes & poverty, cancer, unbearable pain & political unrest have our minds focused on today's tragedies, which should not be ignored.  Yet, if not balanced properly, we lose hope.
           I became overwhelmed.  It was a very dark time for me.  It seemed everything I read or heard about involved tragedy, illness and death.  I wasn't able to keep perspective for a few days.
           I was frozen.  Then God spoke.
                                                                    "Don't be afraid, friend. Peace.                                                            Everything is going to be all right. 
Take courage.
                      Be strong.
                              Go about your business without fretting or worrying. 
Relax..."
As Jesus looked toward the horror of the cross, he chose the very necessary, daily, ritual of eating, to instruct us how to remember.  Every time I take communion I am remembering His suffering, His love, my sin, the world's sin, and the Hope we all have.
          In my own little world I know that it is my responsibility to look these horrors in the face and know that God knows, to pray John 10:10 every day, praising Him with my life, in the midst, knowing His Truth, He is Faithful, He calls me friend!

At the end of last week, Rolf and I went to see a film dedicated to the memory of the suffering in Cambodia during the Khmer Rouge days.  It seemed an appropriate way to bookend the week.     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS3Vp_quGCw
Please watch it if you can.  This is one person's way of remembering...
            I'll go about my business...
...seeking Your face, in humbleness, Praising You, lifting up the needs of the persecuted and least-reached...
...I'll give the worry to my Savior, Protector, Healer, my Friend.
...I'll trust Him, take courage & be strong.
I'm working on the relax part.  I believe obedience is the key to joy, and I am choosing joy today.  In the midst.  There must be.  God said so.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for such a transparent post. Your words echo the thoughts if many in this incredibly chaotic time on this earth. I am with you, choosing joy, as you taught me many years ago as we prayed together in my car. This post is an incredible reminder of God's faithfulness, His promises, and the human emotion that overwhelms when we allow ourselves to forget that HE gives provision and strength real-time. Love you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete